“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” – Anne of Green Gables
I can’t believe we only have 10 more days of one of my favorite months. There are so many reasons to love October:
- We can once again enjoy soups for dinner. I love simple dinners of hearty soups. While my husband is not picky, he does request we eliminate soups from the dinner rotation during the warm months (and I have to admit he’s right – we live in the south and need cool menu options during the months of brutal heat).
- Planting new flowers. The very wilted summer flowers are replaced with fresh, fall colors.
- Picking apples. We have had so much fun picking apples at Mercier Orchards. This year we enjoyed staying in a cabin in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains for a weekend. It was a wonderful time of reconnecting as a family.
- Cooler mornings. They have made walking my children to school absolutely delightful.We are experiencing unseasonably high temperatures this week, so I’m looking forward to when the afternoons are not quite so hot.
- Making the kids Halloween costumes. I love DIY projects and am excited about making costumes for 2 of the 3 kids. Halloween is a big deal in our town and I love how much fun we have celebrating.
- Using the fire pit in the backyard. This year for Mike’s birthday I surprised him with a fire pit. It’s nestled in the one place in our yard that is semi-private and feels very cozy. This month it’s finally cool enough to enjoy a fire and s’mores.
While I love the holidays, October has always felt like an exceptionally beautiful time of year.
What do you love about October?