When you think of the holiday season, what makes it feel like Christmas to you? This is the question Gretchen Rubin asked on a recent episode of her podcast “Happier.” I loved her idea of listing the things we enjoy about the holidays so we can prioritize the things that bring us joy.
As much as I love Christmas, I don’t love the associated stress that can often occur with the holidays. I’m trying to be intentional this Christmas about eliminating the things that cause unnecessary stress and focus on truly enjoying this time of year (of course, I found it ironic that I was listening to this podcast while rushing to clean my house for upcoming holiday events).
So today, in between scrubbing floors and bathrooms, I took the time to pause and think about what makes Christmas feel like Christmas to me.
- Baking treats while listening to Christmas carols
- Watching Holiday Inn, White Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life, Elf, etc.
- Enjoying the Christmas lights at Callaway Gardens
- Pineapple upside down cake and my mom’s breakfast casserole for Christmas morning brunch
- Decorating the tree with my family
- Attending the Christmas Eve service at church
What about you? What makes it feel like Christmas to you? What are you most looking forward to this season?